10 steps to heart health
- Eat a balanced diet and mind your portions.
- Choose whole grains; like quinoa, barley and steel cut oats. Reduce White flour products and processed grains.
- Choose more vegetables and fruits- Choose fresh as often as possible. Go ahead and opt for frozen vegetables, but avoid those with sauces. Frozen fruit is also a good choice and convenient, but canned fruit will have less fiber and more sugars added.
- Add legumes, nuts and seeds. These are great sources of vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein and healthy fats.
- Choose more healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil, salmon, nuts and seeds and avoid or limit saturated fats, trans fats and fats from unhealthy oils (soybean, cottonseed etc.) found in packaged foods.
- Good sources of protein rich foods include poultry, lean meats, eggs and grass fed dairy, which contains a healthy fatty acid profile. Nuts, seeds and legumes are also a vegetable protein source.
- Reduce the salt! Choose more whole foods and experiment with herbs and spices. If you are choosing to dine out or consume packaged foods, please choose low sodium items and do so, less often. Everything in a package contains sodium. READ the Label.
- Drink plenty of filtered water. Reduce alcohol.
- If you smoke, quit. Support is out there if you struggle with quitting.
- If you are overweight, aim to lose at least 10% of your weight. If you are sedentary, get moving. You don’t have to begin a rigorous exercise program, just aim to move your body daily.
Grilled Chicken With Green Beans and Tomatoes
- 1/2cup fresh cilantro
- 1clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 1tablespoon plus 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 46-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1pound green beans
- 4plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Heat grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, sugar, and 1 tablespoon oil to make a vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Rub the chicken with 1 teaspoon oil and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Grill until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the green beans and tomatoes with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Grill the beans and tomatoes, turning the beans often and the tomatoes once, until tender and charred, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables with the vinaigrette.
Source: American College of Cardiology. Heart Disease Statistics. https://www.cardiosmart.org/heart-basics/cvd-stats