Often, food products expire because we buy more than we need, cook too much or forget what we have in stock; ultimately, it gets thrown out and we waste money too.
This year, try to eat healthy, stay active, eliminate waste, and at the same time, keep your budget in check.
- Do an inventory; see what you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Purchase locally when able and support local farms, small businesses and eat seasonally.
- Buy only what you need and what will stay fresh in the next few days.
- Plan out ways to use leftovers later in the week or store in freezer for a later date.
- Follow portion control guidelines to prevent over eating and waste.
- Continue to use good food safety practices; for example; first in, first out, prevent cross contamination, monitor expiration dates.
- Fine some enjoyable activities to keep physically active most days of the week.
- Need some assistance? Seek the advice of a registered dietitian who can help guide you with your goals.